Monday, July 26, 2010

The Pros and Cons

I'm feeling frustrated today. Residency is taking it's toll. I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant, or if it's just the normal grind.
For 3 months at a time, I deal.
Aaron works at two different hospitals. They each have their pros and cons. I always think of the pros of moving to the next one - forgetting that the first 3 weeks at a new hospital is an adjustment. Here's the details. Mostly for my benefits.
.
Hospital 1
Pros: Seeing fewer patients in a day
In general, he's home for dinner.
We can usually get things done, even during the week.
On call nights, he can come home and often deal with business from his computer at home.

Cons: Fewer patients means less surgeries. Less surgeries means less happy husband.
The general incompetence of "lesser trained" support staff.
On call nights, I have no idea when or if he is coming home. I can't get a babysitter if I need to do something - he might come home.
He might have to get up in the middle of the night and answer that stupid pager for the 18th time. (general incompetence)

.
Hospital 2
Pros: He gets to see some really cool stuff.
He's happy because he gets to operate a bunch.
He sometimes knows what is going to be on the late night news, before it's on.
When he's on call, I just know he's not coming home and I can prepare myself and the kids. If I have something to do, I can get a sitter.
When he is post call, he gets to come home early. He's supposed to be out at noon, but it's usually more like 2:30. Still early.
.
Cons: The place takes over. Rarely is he home for dinner. If there's something going on, it takes precedence - even when he said that he could come home.
On call nights, he doesn't come home. I don't sleep well when he's not in the house. Every little noise freaks me out. I'm getting better - but it's not good yet.
When he comes home early on post call days, often he's so exhausted that he can barely stand up. Then, he'll take a nap for an hour or so. He's still a zombie, with a low tolerance for anything.
He barely has time to send me a text message letting me know he's alive.
.
Now I don't need the comments about how much money we'll make eventually, and how it will all be worth it in the end. I know all that.

.
I'm just saying that right now is difficult. I'm adjusting, but some nights are more difficult than others.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hang in there...you are dealing with a lot right now. Say your prayers and let Heavenly Father ease your burdens...a few more months and you can be sitting in the freezing cold with me!! Love you!

Elizabeth said...

BIIIIIIIG HUUUUUGS! Did you feel that? It was me wishing I could hug you super tight! Take a breath-get a sitter-even if he does come home-and have a girls day or night out! YOU need it! Love ya!

Sandi and Curtis said...

Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel yet? That makes life easier when you know "this too shall pass!"