I just wanted to take a moment before I am completely and totally done with this phase in my life to document it.
I have breastfed all of my kids - Ben was the shortest amount of time -about 7 months. Alex lasted 9 months, and was much less grouchy when she switched to formula. Audrey went about 10 months, and Sammy's getting close to the end now.
I did not enjoy breastfeeding.
*gasp*
.
Yep, I said it. I didn't like it. Now, I didn't hate it. I did love that I didn't have to pay for an entire year of formula - that stuff's SO EXPENSIVE! And I did love that I didn't have to wake up in the middle of the night and fumble through making a bottle. And I did love that I didn't really have to think about everywhere we were going and how long we were going to be gone and did I need to have a bottle? And I did love that I didn't have to wash bottles and all their parts all the time.
.
I know there are breastfeeding advocates out there who fight for a woman's right to feed her child anywhere she wants to. I guess I have a heightened sense of modesty, because there is no way that I would EVER just pull out my boob and feed my kid in front of any group of people!
I have no desire, and am personally kinda creeped out when someone is breastfeeding in a public place. Sooooo not my bag, baby.
And because of this, I have left restaurants and hidden in the car. I couldn't find a corner at an amusement park, so I went in the handicapped stall in the bathroom with the stroller. I sat on the stroller, rather precariously, and fed Sam. I have hid in the mother's room at church, just to have people open the door and me jump. I'm not a prude, but I don't need everyone to see my vast white skin. Ew.
It makes me crazy sleepy every time. With the girls, I got desperately thirsty as soon as they'd latch on. I've been bitten, had cracked nipples that bled, run a fever with mastitis, had to change clothes because I was drenched in milk unexpectedly.
I will be glad when this phase in my life is over. I don't like having to stop everything to sit down quietly and feed him, while he tries to wiggle off my lap, hit me, bite me. But I am glad that I was able to give my children the best thing for them for a while.
And that's my story.
The Right Path...
9 years ago



6 comments:
I can so relate. It was a love/hate thing for me. Almost done too!
Love it- you are funny! I personally never went this route, but I can't relate to being happy when a certain phase of life is done- so Congrats!!!
Well said...now send me those Similac coupons:)
woo hoo to being done. :)
I had a hard time doing this, and can relate to not wanting the world to see me... I do love the fact that is was easy, and affordable.. Not easy when they wanted to play or eat every 30 min... Love that you put it into words...
Aww, I remember those days! I too believe that breastfeeding should be done privately and discreetly, not out of shame, but just out of common courtesy. I don't think enjoyment is the first word that comes to mind when I think back to those days, but I do appreciate the bonding time I had with both babies because of breastfeeding them.
Post a Comment