Saturday, April 25, 2009

a comedy of errors...

Aaron is a fantastic husband and dad. However, sometimes his best laid plans don't work out so well. Tonight was one of those nights.

He stopped by the store on the way home to pick up a few things for dinner, and got a bottle of mineral water - a treat for the two of us. Bubbles make dinner seem fancy. (We like Pellegrino.) To get it cold faster, he stuck it in the freezer, and ran off to grill the hamburgers.

We had a great dinner. I wasn't that hungry - we stopped for Mexican food about 1:30, and I was still pretty full. I nibbled; the kids chowed down. I had to run off to a dress rehearsal of the Stake Youth performance, so I said goodnight to the children and ran off.

While I was gone, Aaron put on "Homeward Bound" for the kids. He had seen it on the cable guide a few weeks ago and recorded it to the DVR for such occasion when he needed a fun daddy night. He put on the movie, popped some popcorn, and treated the kids. Isn't he the greatest dad ever? My kids certainly think so.

When was the last time you watched "Homeward Bound?" It has two dogs and a cat that are traveling. They find a little girl who is lost, keep her warm for the night, and help the search party to find her. Sweet, right? Ben was sobbing. Not just crying, but hysterically sobbing. "I'm just so happy, dad!" Alex, not wanting to be outdone, "I'm sad too, dad." Both kids end up in our bed, because they are crying too hard to sleep alone.

I come home from rehearsal, sit down, and get recounted the story of "Homeward Bound." I laughed. No sooner than he finishes telling me the tale, we hear a loud explosion from the fridge.

It takes 5 1/2 hours for a forgotten bottle of mineral water to explode in your freezer.

We just laughed. Aaron is a good sport. Sometimes, he just can't win.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

That's too bad about the exploding water, at least you ended the night with a bang! :) Isn't nice having such great dads for our kids.

The McLemore's said...

Adorable! I love it and I'm so glad that Ben and Allie have tender Hearts!!!! Aaron is awesome, one of the coolest guys I know, besides my husband :) I love you!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

poor ben! i love that he's so sensitive- it really is a sad movie. we had a coke explode in the back of the car on a road trip. what a mess! bubbly water doesn't seem like too big a mess at least :)

Mechelle said...

I'll keep that in mind next time I need to cool my mineral water. note to self: do not put it in the freezer, you're sure to forget it! (and I would too!)

trublubyu said...

i think i saw that coming. too bad you didn't have the advantage of reading a post about it and then you would have remembered that bottle. funny! you will remember that one for a while.

trublubyu said...

i think i sounded like i was lecturing you in my comment. totally not my intention!

Heidi said...

some days you just can't win even when you do everything they ask to make it fun and exciting they still find a way to make you feel like you could have done more. it's exhausting! glad it didn't explode in the middle of the night. you wouldn't thought you were back in phoenix:)

Suzi said...

OK, I don't want to be mean during your time of MESS...BUT that was FUNNY! As soon as I read that you put the water in the fridge, I started laughing. Thanks for sharing, needed a cute laugh today.

Elizabeth said...

It's always a FUN experiment to see how long it takes for a bottle of mineral water to explode in the freezer....that's what is was right, an experiment???? Glad to see you both have such a great sense of humor and that your kids are so cute and tenderhearted :)