Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Finally - the Joy of Reading

For the past week and a half, Ben and I have been reading "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." He's seen both of the movies, so he's anticipating the events in the story. He and I are reading together: he follows along while I read longer sections, and in the conversations and shorter sections, he'll read. Roald Dahl has introduced him to several new words: tonight it was "cigar" and "pandemonium."
I am LOVING IT!
We are now on Chapter 12, and Charlie just found the Golden Ticket. The title to Chapter 11 is "The Family Begins to Starve." The descriptions of how poor and how little food the Bucket Family had were hard to read. And then, the exhilaration of Charlie seeing the flash of Gold in his candy bar was amazing! The imagery of 96 1/2 year old Grandpa Joe shooting out of the bed with a "Yippppeeeeeeeeee!" was so much fun!
.
And, above all, I'm so glad that I get to spend time with my son, and teach him one of life's most valuable lessons.
.
A well-written story is a treasure,
and the movie in your brain
is ALWAYS better
than the one on the screen.

3 comments:

trublubyu said...

so fun! i love reading with my kids! we haven't read charlie yet- a good one to put on the list.

Elizabeth said...

How fun!!! I love to read with my kids- and it's even better when they find the joy in the story! Kuddos to you for finding a book that Ben can both enjoy and learn from :)

Sandi and Curtis said...

That is one reason why I love going into schools to read! But the best part truly is the movie in the brain! That is why I love vacations...they stock pile to give me lots of movies in my brain of past sights, sounds, conversations, experiences, etc...