Alex loves Diego. More than she ever loved Dora. ("Impossible!," you think.) I can use Diego to get her to do almost anything. No, not by promising her that she can watch a show (although that is very useful in a non-creative moment), but by telling her that she can be just like Diego.It all began one Saturday, about a month ago, at Walmart...
Alex had to go potty, so I was elected to take her, and Aaron went on shopping throughout the store. As we got out of the bathroom, it was time to find Dad.
Me: Alex, you should call for Dad and see if he answers.
Alex: Dad! DAD!
Me: (less loud) Daddy! Where are you?
Alex: Mom! He's lost! I know, I'll call Falcon. He can find him! Falcon! Falcon!
Me: Alex, we're in a store, I don't know if Falcon will be able to come in.
Alex: It's okay, he's here in my pocket. Falcon can find Dad; Falcons have excellent eyes and can spot things from far away. Go Falcon! Go find Dad! (she releases her imaginary bird.)
Now, I use her love of Diego to get her to do things.
Me: Alex, use your spotting scope to find Audrey's pacifier. See if Baby Jaguar can help you. I know you can do it!
Alex: Okay mom! Come on, Baby Jaguar!
It's a lovely system. It does require a knowledge of Diego vocabulary and Diego amigos, and the 22 minutes per show are well worth the services she is able to provide. 



3 comments:
That is so cute! Very creative, you are a good Mom. I love getting them to do what I want and making them think it was their idea.
encouraging here imagination that is awesome.
I am not familiar with Diego talk, but I guess I should be before I see Alex next. She is a very creative girl and I love that she has a healthy imagination. Good work mom!
Post a Comment