Since the beginning of the year, the city of Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico has had 61 murders, most related to drug cartels. Scary. Aaron can't go; as a member of the military, he is not allowed in Juarez. However, we have been counseled by our local priesthood leaders to go to the temple. No one that has gone straight to the temple and straight back has had any difficulty.
We had Stake Temple day today. Members of our ward carpooled to the temple. Getting into Mexico was easy, but the line to get out (at 8:30 am) was LONG! I was surprised that it only took us about a half hour to get to the temple. We did the session and had a nice, peaceful visit. Then, we got back into the cars, and after looking at this morning's line of cars, several members figured that it would be faster to walk across the bridge. (The drivers had a special pass to get the cars back faster - but they couldn't have passengers. They met us on the other side.)
We paid our $.30 to enter the bridge and walked up and over. The line looked long, but only took us 25 minutes to walk and wait. At the end, the line snaked into a building where we entered and showed our documents. I joked that the last time I waited in a line that long, there was a roller coaster at the end. Our bishop's wife said that she waited 3 hours in the car once, trying to get back from the temple.
In Dallas, Aaron and I lived less than 30 minutes from the temple. It was awesome. In Arizona, it was a good 45 minutes - in good traffic. Now, it's a fairly short drive, but with a huge obstacle in the middle, the possibility of danger - and no potential of my husband going anytime soon.
Dear friends,
Appreciate your local temple, and go often. :)
Appreciate your local temple, and go often. :)
*The sun was in my eyes.



5 comments:
I'm glad you got to go and I hope you go again soon.... I will mail you 2 names! I will go as often as possible, it's hard to go being that I have to pick Mark up from work where as before I would just go after work. I'll go enough for the 2 of us, even tho there is really no such thing as enough! I love you!
we really do have it easy here. but, i am glad that you can still go- and that you go eventhough it is not convenient. you are a great example!
I am glad you were able to go. 30 minutes and $.30 is not bad at all!
I'm super excited for you too. We were just recently counseled to attend the temple at least once a month in preparation for the 3 new temples in AZ- the counsel was given in a state wide conference last fall. We are going to try to get in lots of visits before the next kiddo comes. You ready for some Jenna time, Riss? We really enjoyed the session we were just able to do in the San Diego Temple- WOW! So is this the first time that you had been without Aaron?! I guess I haven't ever been in a session without Dave... thanks for being a good example to us :)
When we were in Texas a few months ago, Nick was telling me all about the murder rate in Juarez-SCARY!! I am glad you do your supporting though! Just take a really big bat or gun or something when you go:)
Post a Comment