Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Birthdays

I love birthdays!
I love that there is one day that is MINE and my friends and family will celebrate ME. I know it's silly and selfish, but I love it. Today in preschool we made birthday hats, decorated and ate yummy cupcakes, and danced. Kids really know how to celebrate! When I was teaching high school, I would wait and do the "Welcome to Drama Club!" party right around my birthday - just so we could celebrate. I guess I mention this because in Primary on Sunday - remember that I was just put in as a Sunbeam teacher - they sang to the kids who had birthdays, and they didn't say my name. I thought, "No biggie - they'll call me next week; after all, my birthday isn't until tomorrow anyway." So in a fleeting moment, I mentioned on the way to class, "Are you singing to me next week? It's my birthday tomorrow." And the response I got was, "Oh, we don't usually sing to the teachers." I was super sad! Primary teachers are already under appreciated - not by the presidency, or the ward, just as a calling in general. It's a tough road to interact with only kids every week. The same level of socialization and adult learning just isn't there. Wouldn't it be nice to have one Sunday where the kids paid attention to you - not because you were teaching - but because of something about YOU as an individual? I am a person - not just your teacher! I have birthdays - just like you! Anyway, I got the preschool kids to sing to me. It was nice.
I had a pretty nice birthday, by the way. Aaron got me a new shower head for the bathroom - that was really a present for the both of us! The kids got me flowers and chocolates. We had steak, fish, and shrimp for dinner on Sunday, and had 3 of Aaron's friends from work over. They shared cake and ice cream. We ate all of the cake with his friends, so I made rice krispie treats yesterday and put candles in that. My dearest friends and family called, and they are awesome. I am very blessed to have such wonderful people in my life!

4 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

we all know and love your selfishness... i'm glad you had a great day! birthdays are fun and even funner when you don't have to remind anyone that it is your day. dave still thinks it's funny when he asks, "when's your birthday again?" or if it just around the corner and i ask what he has planned, and his response is "do we celebrate that every year?" i know that he only does it because i get SUPER angry about it! i love birthdays too :)

trublubyu said...

What!? No songs for the teachers? that makes me sad.

i am glad to hear you could celebrate with your kids.

happy belated birthday!

The McLemore's said...

It's your ward, they obviously don't care, chumps! I got sang too two years in a row while I was in Primary!!! So did Mark, they made us wear funny hats and all the kids laughed, it was awesome!!! I love you, Happy Birthday!!!

Elizabeth said...

You know that if you were in Primary with me,(which I just got released last week:( I would TOTALLY have them sing! It helps to remind us that we are still kids at heart and of course, that people love us. SOOOOOO, on that note "Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Sarah, Happy Birthday to you"!!!!!!