Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On Call

When Aaron is on call, he is at the hospital from 5:30 am on Day 1, and is done at 7:00 am on Day 2. That's a long time when nurses keep paging for everything. (Surprisingly, he claims to get more sleep there than he does with Audrey.) Either way, I miss him terribly when he is on call.

When Aaron is here, I don't hear the creaks and other assorted house noises in the night.
When Aaron is here, I (mostly) do not stay up super late blogging.
When Aaron is here, I don't have to be at 100% of my parenting game.
When Aaron is here, I have someone with which to laugh at Robot Chicken.

The other day, I was in the shower (my best thinking time) and thinking about how he and I met.....
(At this point, Wayne and Garth would say, "doodlydoo, doodlydoo, doodlydoo" while waving their hands in front of them...)

I had just started teaching in Houston. It was my first teaching job, and I was getting to know people in the local singles branch to have some sort of social life. After all, I was 22 (almost 23) and had just acquired a salary. I was cool! Anyway, some of the girls had invited me to a Maplewood dance. I was confused as I had never heard of this dancing style, when they expounded, saying it was the name of a specific church building in the Houston area. We went to the dance. I was cute in a pink t-shirt, my flared jeans, and my Doc Martens Mary Janes. I knew a grand total of maybe 5 people there, so it was a little awkward, but I was determined to have a good time. I was scopin' out the prospects when I saw this totally hot guy over by the beverages. He was taller than me, and was wearing a yellow plaid button down shirt, and he was checking me out. But it was his Friend who asked me to dance. I tried to talk to him, but Friend was there. Friend was nice, and I didn't want to be rude. I would hang out with the both of them, but He wouldn't flirt with me - Friend would. I gave Friend my number, and that was that.
A little while later, there was another singles activity on a Friday night. I didn't really want to go - I had taught all day - but Kirstin had called and asked me to go, and mentioned that this Hot guy would be there. So I went and had dinner and played games. After the activity, there were some people who were going out to a club to go dancing. I specifically went to this Hot guy and asked if he was going to the club. He was, and I was sold on going. We flirted like CRAZY at the club; however, Friend was lingering. We danced, and kept trying to sneak away from the group - to no avail.
When the club closed, the group said, "Let's drive down to Galveston, ride the ferry and go to the beach!" So we loaded up and headed to Galveston. It was a nice night, and we drove with the windows down. My ride to the club had decided to call it a night then, so I ended up in the truck with Friend. It was so hard to be nice without leading him on! Everyone got out of the cars while we were on the ferry, and Hot guy and I picked right back up where we had left off at the club. We were discussing the finer points of kissing... and we kept being interrupted by (it seemed like) EVERYONE in our group. We headed back to the cars as the ferry ride ended and went to the beach.
The beach didn't last long. It was windy and starting to sprinkle, so we headed back to the ferry dock. However, the ferry doesn't run very often in the middle of the night, and we had to wait. It was here that Friend was talking to Hot guy for a bit about how he didn't think I was interested. I decided to ride home with Kirsten, who was falling asleep. So Hot guy offered to drive Kirsten's car, drop me off, and take Kirsten and her car home - where he had left his car earlier in the evening.
Well, Kirsten did fall asleep on the ride home, and I remember being totally taken aback by this guy who was kissing my fingertips as he was driving. We got to my apartment complex, and he walked me to the door. It was funny because, he's tall and he likes to joke around. As we were walking to my apartment, he pretended to get poked in the eye by a tree branch. I fell for it, and we both laughed. He walked me up to the third floor and said that he'd see me later, and leaned in to kiss me. Here I was, awake for 23 hours at this point, smoky and a little sweaty from the club, wind-blown from the drive to Galveston, sandy and slightly damp from the beach - and he still wanted to kiss me. Crazy. Anyway, after all this discussion about kissing all evening, it was the clumsiest, most awkward kiss ever. No joke.
Then, I went in my apartment, took a shower, grabbed a yogurt and a bagel, and headed back to the school I was teaching at to administer the SAT. The older teachers took one look at me that morning and asked if he was cute. I laughed and asked if it was that obvious. I stumbled (literally) through the next 4 hours, and drove home where I called him to meet me for lunch. We've been together ever since.

5 comments:

trublubyu said...

fun story. kissing your fingertips on the drive home, eh? very cute and you must have been just mmelting at that point.

The McLemore's said...

Hey and he gave you the best 3 gifts ever and we all couldn't be more thankful!!!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

ehwwww- yucky love stuff? and it's not even an anniversary... jk- i love that you two are in love and happy!

Heidi said...

Our first kiss was also on our first date and it too was very awkward and he almost missed but it was memorable for sure! We've been together ever since and the kiss-o-meter has improved 100%.
Cute story.

Mechelle said...

I love "how we met" stories. Yours rocks!